Thursday, September 20, 2007

any good movies?

My Portuguese teacher sends us a few songs to check out each week. He says by listening to music, and singing along, it helps to "get the accent" as well as other things. I live in the Shea house, so there is a plethora of chinese around me whenever I want it. It's great, because it's as immersed as I can get without going abroad, (which I would like to do, possibly next fall?).
So, if anyone has any favorite japanese music, I would really appreciate some recommendations. And that goes for movies as well. I am a HUGE fan of Totoro, Spirited Away, etc. But I am looking to explore some more serious movies as well.

so, random story. My brother went to japan on rotary exchange right after he graduated from high school. One day at some coffee shop he ended up talking to some guy, just practicing his japanese. Well, they ended up being friends. The guy he met is the lead singer for the Japanese group, Ellegarden, I don't know if anyone has heard of them or not. I think his name is takashi....? Anyhow, on one of their albulms, he wrote a song about my brother-it's called A Song For James.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzYG7rQx_Ds

I think that's pretty sweet. Kinda jealous. Who wouldn't want a song written about them?

4 comments:

Citrus said...

I think your Portuguese teacher has the right idea. I've found that listening to Japanese music helps me to follow the language a little better.

It so happens that I've got quite a bit of Japanese music that I'd be willing to share with you - maybe in exchange for some of your international musics. I'm looking to broaden my musical horizons.

As for serious movies, try "Grave of the Fireflies," director Isao Takahata, or catch "Paprika," director Satoshi Kon, when it airs here at UVA thanks to OFFscreen.

Also, that story about your brother is incredibly cool.

グラント・ウーラード said...

I recommend "Woman of the Dunes" by Kobo Abe, an avant-garde existentialist film from the 60s.

I don't have much in the way of Japanese pop music, but I can say that キロロ isn't bad.

グラント・ウーラード said...

Have you heard of Lisa Ono? She's a Japanese singer who grew up in Brazil, and sings most of her songs (all of which are covers) in Portuguese or Japanese. She could help you with two languages at once!

Also, is 曾老師 teaching your CHIN 401 class?

Sato said...

Someone in 1100 class is uploading Japanese music on her blog. You many want to try visiting her blog ->
http://aznbabybop.blogspot.com/
She changes songs quite often.