Friday, September 14, 2007

if you really want to know...

class website: http://uvajapanese102.blogspot.com/

Well, I've been doing the xanga thing for quite a while, so I don't see how this will be too different. Except that my classmates are being made to read my inner thoughts and comment on them, so perhaps I should keep them school appropriate. Now here's the question everyone asks. Why are you taking Japanese? Well that my friend, is a long and complicated question.

When I was super young, my family moved to Tokyo. I picked up Japanese before I really knew English, aka, my family would speak to me in english, and I would respond in japanese. We moved back to the states after 2 years, where I promptly lost all Japanese skills I had, and learned how to speak English. Of course to complicate matters, we moved back to Tokyo, but this time I went to Seisen International School, which is taught in English. Although we lived in Japan, I don't think my japanese skills went beyond being able to watch cartoons without being confused. After 2nd grade, we left Tokyo, and I haven't been back since, although I would love to revisit it with the perspectives I have now.

So I have an innate love for Japan and the culture and all that good stuff. And my brother just started working in Tokyo for Citigroup, and I hope to visit him.

So, languages. yes, they are fun. I'm only taking language classes this semester actually. My schedule consists of Chinese 401, Chinese 583 (Into to Classical), Japanese 101, and Portuguese 111. I feel like I am drowning in my chinese 401 class. I feel like Japanese is a lot of fun, and I get it. I feel like Portuguese is rough somedays, and good other days, but I like all my classes nonetheless. So, that's it for now. see you all in class on monday, have a great weekend.

1 comment:

ローラ・リン said...

Haha that's such a great photo. It's awesome that you got to go to China...I haven't been back there for 10 years! If you go visit your brother in Tokyo...take me with you. ^^