Thursday, November 29, 2007

Peer Editing

Ahhh, a blog in english again. It almost seems too easy to convey m thoughts as soon as they come to mind, as opposed to trying to find a way with the Japanese we currently know.

so, thoughts on peer editing. I think it's a pretty beneficial thing. For one, although our first drafts were not graded, you would want to put a little bit of effort into it, if anything of our respect for the people who read your work. I was in a creative writing class last semester, and there was one guy whose stories never made sense, and it actually made me angry enough to through the papers on the ground a few times. It was extremely frustrating.

Peer editing also lets you see where you compare to your peers. And it's comforting to know that maybe even when you feel left behind, in truth, we are all still making mistakes. And in this class, I feel comfortable making mistakes (even accidentally calling Sato Sensei a yasai...) because the laughter is never malicious. At least it doesn't seem that way to me...

By editing other papers yourself, it forces you to have a critical eye. Instead of just passively reading through, you actually have to think about the particles and word order, and conjugations. Even writing can be passive sometimes, because, at least I, get caught up in where I am trying to take the idea or using words, I forget to pay attention to detail. So by peer editing, you train yourself to have a more critical eye.

Like I said in class, there are some downsides, such as we sometimes make the same mistakes, so we might not catch each others, and in that sense, having a professor edit your paper can be more helpful.

Another thing I liked about this process, not the peer editing part, was that we've taken plenty of time to write and rewrite this speech, so that I feel everyting time I look at my speech, i have a fresh view. And I will get new ideas with a fresh perspective.

All in all, thumbs up.

No comments: